Friday, August 31, 2012

The First Week of School

Our school's Open House was the Thursday before school started - just three days after Silas' surgery.  He was in no mood to travel, but we thought it would do him some good to see a few friends.  He's such a people person.  So, we borrowed a wheelchair and rolled him in.  We were right.  He smiled as we ran into several familiar faces.  But even though he was in the wheelchair, just riding around for an hour completely wore him out.  We met the new teachers, left all the new school supplies, and headed home.  Looks like it's going to be a good year.

On Friday, I had a meeting with the 504 Team in order to have Silas' 504 Plan in place before school started.  It went really well, and I was relieved that they were so understanding.

Silas was no where near ready to go on Monday, so I didn't even try to wake him up.  So, I was able to spend the first day with Autumn.  Here she is before we left the house.

And here she is in her new classroom.

The structure at school is good for her, and she loves being there.  Sometimes when Criss takes her to school, he'll joke with her and try to get her to run away to the beach with him for the day - and she always refuses!  She likes school that much.  (Me on the other hand, I would go to the beach in a heartbeat.)

Tuesday morning, we got Autumn to school on time while Silas was sleeping in.  As soon as he woke up, he stated adamantly, "I want to go to school."  He had yet to walk more than a few yards, but if he wanted to go, I'd help him get there.

He was still irritable, and would not let me take his picture, so I snuck these of him from behind as we were leaving the house.

We wouldn't have won any races, but we VERY, VERY slowly made it down the long hallway to his classroom.  I wasn't sure how long he'd make it.  The goal was for him at least get to meet his new classmates.  First, the counselor came in and talked to the class about Silas' tube - giving everyone time to ask questions.  Then, they were going to read a book and make a craft - so he decided to stay for a bit.  (Craft time is his new favorite thing.)  He was still in such bad shape that I sat in a room down the hallway - just in case.

He stayed a few hours before he needed to leave.  He even let me get a picture (the front view this time) before we left his classroom.

Wednesday and Thursday were about the same - he went for 2-3 hours each day.  And on Friday, he made it almost the whole day.

So much for having the surgery done before school started so that he wouldn't miss any school...  At least school was motivating him to move.  When we got home on Tuesday he said, "Don't forget you owe me quarters for all that walking."  J


No comments:

Post a Comment