Saturday, December 17, 2011

South Carolina - Dec. 2011 (con't)

Day 4 - Thursday, 12/15/11

This was our busiest day this week - with two appointments, and I'm thankful that Silas did well through it all.  He started the day not allowed to eat or drink again (for the second day in a row).  Silas was very thirsty, but we managed to get him out the door.

We were scheduled to check in at the hospital at 8:00 for his endoscopy and colonoscopy.  He was a little nervous, and the hospital staff were so nice to let Criss go back with him until he fell asleep.  Then, the IV went in after he was asleep, so he didn't have to know about it until later.  He was back for about an hour before they came and got us.  Thankfully, he woke up with a good disposition.  He happily chattered with all of the nurses - though he didn't always make perfect sense.  :-)

Dr. M gave us the pictures from the procedure and said he didn't see anything abnormal.  However, we won't have the biopsy results until next week.  After being discharged, we returned to RMH where Silas and Criss took a nap and slept off the rest of the anesthesia.

This afternoon, we returned to the allergist to have the patches removed.  (25 patches - I finally counted.)  We go back tomorrow for a final reading.

From Dr. J's office, we went to a playground Silas had been wanting to visit.  We also tried to stop at the outdoor ice skating rink on Main Street, but they were doing maintenance on the ice, and it wasn't open.  Right now, we're about to have dinner before going to look at Christmas lights.

Day 5 - Friday, 12/16/11

Friday morning, we had to get up and pack before heading to the allergist (Dr. J) one last time.  Check out time is 11, and our appointment was at 10.  It was so good that we were able to stay at the Ronald McDonald House.  They ask for $8 per night; anywhere else would have cost us $100 or so a night.  They also have food you can eat while you're staying there, and different people/groups bring in dinner each night.

Dr. J took one last look at Silas' back (where the patches were), and we talked about the final results of the testing.  The prick testing showed allergies to egg, house dust mite, and mugwort.  Mugwort cross-reacts with celery, apple, kiwi, peanut, fennel, carrots, parsley, coriander, sunflower, and peppers - so those should be avoided as well.  Some of them may be tolerated if cooked.  (Though many of those would still trigger problems with his fructose malabsorption.)  The patch testing showed allergies to beef and pork.  These two things he was still eating, and I knew I was going to need to remove them from his diet soon because they were bothering him.  (He was starting to wake up extremely irritable every time he had hamburger meat the day before.)  Dr. J also said to leave out milk because of the types of reactions Silas has had to it in the past.  Milk was also one of his original allergies (when he was tested at age one).  Dr. J also said that prick/patch testing for milk is very unreliable.

At this point, we know of the above allergies and the fructose malabsorption problem.  We are still waiting for the biopsy results which we should hear back from sometime next week.  Then, we will have a little bit clearer picture on what our next step will be.

Silas has been very irritable today.  Can't say if it's from the prick testing (that made him so sick on Tuesday), the fructose drink (for Wednesday's test), the Jello, the anesthesia, the IV, or all of the above.  It's good to be home, and hopefully he will settle back down soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment