Monday, September 19, 2011

Catching Up & Mito Awareness Week


My hopes of catching up the blog once the kids started back to school have been pushed aside by daily tasks and activities.  I have a master’s degree in Elementary Education, and I’m in the process of adding an endorsement in Special Education.  I have one more class to take, and then I will student teach in the Spring.  The online course I’m taking is squeezed into 8 weeks, so I’ve been working on that constantly.

I’ve mentioned before that I sometimes work as adjunct faculty at SEBC.  I have taught a class on Children’s literature every other spring for several years now.  A few weeks before school started, they contacted me to see if I’d be willing to teach Curriculum Development this fall.  I was glad to do it.  However, the first time you teach a course, it takes a lot of time to pull it all together.  So, between taking a course through Liberty and teaching a new course at SEBC, I haven’t had time for much else.

It also didn’t help that Autumn ended up sick at home for three days of her first full week at school.  I have mentioned the new (or increased) medications they are trying with her.  It is going well so far.  I am seeing some small improvements in language and gross motor activities.  That is encouraging.  We see her neurologist again next week, and we’ll see what she has to say.  The immunologist redid the ANA Test, and it came back positive a second time.  The NK function test also showed low resistance to candida (yeast).  We’ll have to see what he says about everything at our next visit. 

Silas seems to be adjusting pretty well to Kindergarten.  We have his week long appointment on South Carolina scheduled for the end of the year.  We’re just trying to keep him steady until then.  We saw his GI doctor here in town a few weeks before school started to get some forms, etc. signed for school.  He basically said to just come back when we need him.  He doesn’t know what else to do.

Not too much longer until our Magic Moments trip to Disney World.  I’ll definitely have to write about that one.  J


September 18-24 is Mitochondrial Disease Awareness Week.  It can be very difficult to find helpful information about Mito.  I ran across the blog of a mom that has three kids with Mito.  The information she shares has been so helpful.  I am putting links to some of her posts below if you’d like to learn a little bit more about the disease.


Over the weekend, we were sitting together and talking with the kids.  I asked Silas if he thought he might want to play some kind of sport one day.  He said “Yes,” so I asked what he might like to play.  He said, “Golf.”  It was very humorous because no one in our family plays golf, we don’t watch it on TV, and the only golf experience he’s ever had is one night at a putt-putt type of place – and he didn’t even like it.  I just had to laugh.

As always, thanks for reading!

Janel

No comments:

Post a Comment