Friday, March 25, 2011

Field Trip Time!

On Wednesday, Silas got to go on his very first field trip.  He was so excited!  I, on the other hand, was a little apprehensive.  They were going to California Pizza Kitchen.  Silas is used to having to eat differently from everyone else, and he usually handles it very well.  However, I am always cautious about big events that revolve around food.

The weeks leading up to the trip, we talked about how he would participate in the trip with his friends, and he could make a pizza for me to eat since he would need to eat his food.  This is a system we came up with a while back.  Any time there’s an activity that involves food, I encourage him to make one with everyone else and give it to someone (usually Daddy).  That way he can still participate, but he doesn’t actually eat anything that will make him sick.

Several days before the trip, Silas came up to me and said, “Mommy, I don’t know how to throw the dough up in the air.” (You know, like they do on TV.)  “Maybe my teacher knows how.”  It was just too cute and funny.  I assured him that the people that worked in the kitchen would know just what to do.

Here is a picture of Silas standing at the counter, telling the cook what toppings to put on his (my) pizza.


As Silas sat eating his chicken and millet bread in a room full of children eating pizza, I wanted to be sad for a moment.  It often hits me at some point during such events.  I chose instead to focus on the fact that he was having a good week and was enjoying the time with his friends.

Today was my second field trip of the week.  Autumn’s class has been talking about Community Helpers, so their trip included stops at the bank, Publix, McAlister’s (for lunch), the police station, and the fire station.  Silas had an appointment scheduled with the GI doctor, so I was only able to join her for the lunch portion of the trip.  Here she is eating her baked potato.


I’ll be back soon to post about today’s visit with the GI doctor.

Janel

No comments:

Post a Comment