Tuesday, December 28, 2010

More About Me

I grew up the only child in a small house in a city just outside of Birmingham, AL.  I was so fortunate to have many Christian influences in my growing up years, and I accepted Christ as my Savior at a young age.  I will forever be grateful for the wealth of Scriptures I memorized during these years.  With them hidden in my heart, God can bring them to my remembrance just when I need them most.

I attended a local Christian college and earned my Bachelor’s in Elementary Education and Biblical Studies.  The June after I graduated, I married Criss.  We started dating when I was still in high school, so we had dated nearly six years before tying the knot.  I taught first grade at a Christian school (the same one I attended as a child) for six years.  Just before leaving work to stay home with my kids, I earned my Master’s in El. Ed.  I’m currently working to add an endorsement in Special Education.

I am very involved at my church, and I enjoy singing in the choir, leading worship with the Praise Team, and coordinating the children’s choir.  I play the piano, though usually just for myself.  I like to take out some of the easier songs I learned years ago and play them to relax.  Another thing I do just for me is scrapbooking.  I love to eat macaroni & cheese, and my comfort foods are Pepsi & chocolate.  My ultimate goal in life is to help Christian schools develop special education services.

God’s greatest gift to me is my husband.  He evens out my overly-structured tendencies and has taught me how to have more fun in life.  We are a great team, and he’s always there to help around the house and with the kids.  He takes up the slack when I’m tired and listens when I'm frustrated, and I hope I always do the same for him.  Criss, “I thank my God in all my remembrance of you” (Philippians 1:3).

It’s currently December of 2010.  Autumn turned 6 earlier this month, and Silas turned 5 last week.  They are wonderful, funny, frustrating, and exhausting all at the same time.  God has used them to sand a lot of my rough edges and to teach me to wait patiently on Him.  Their lives will take several posts of their own.

Janel

1 comment:

  1. Hooray! I cannot wait to read more about how God has shaped you specifically in the midst of the suffering that He has brought to your path. I LOVE your title and all that goes with it. Thriving instead of just getting by ... it is a high calling and can only be even attempted through His love and grace. I'm so happy you're online. :) I will be by often.

    ReplyDelete